Renovating your home is daunting, especially when you’re working on a budget. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to help you get your dream home without breaking the bank. From creating a gallery wall to upcycling furniture, our DIY hacks are designed to help you add personality and character to your living space.
So, whether you’re a seasoned DIY enthusiast or a beginner looking to get started, here are a few hacks you can try today.
Hack #1: Creating a Gallery Wall
A gallery wall is a curated display of art, photographs, and other decorative items, arranged in a visually pleasing way on a wall. It could be the missing piece that adds charm and character to your space.
Follow these simple steps to create an impressive gallery wall that will transform your home today:
- Choose your artwork and frames: Choose artwork that speaks to your personality, mixing different styles, sizes, and colors to create a unique look and select frames that complement your room’s decor.
- Arrange the artwork: Before hanging the frames, arrange the artwork on the floor to determine the layout, experimenting with different orders until your find the best one.
- Hang the frames: Start by hanging the largest frame in the center and work your way out using a level to ensure straight and evenly spaced frames.
Hack #2: Installing a Tile Backsplash.
A tile backlash is a great addition to any kitchen or bathroom as it adds a decorative element to your space and protects your walls from moisture and stains. It’s also easy to clean, highly customizable, and adds value to your home.
The following steps will help you install your own tile backlash:
- Choose the right tiles: Measure the area where you want to install the backlash and choose the right tiles that fit your space.
- Prepare the surface: Clean the wall thoroughly and ensure it’s completely dry before applying adhesive.
- Apply the adhesive: Use a towel to apply the adhesive in small sections, ensuring you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for mixing and application.
- Place the tiles: Start at the bottom of the wall, working your way up and pressing each tile firmly to the adhesive. Ensure they’re leveled and spaced evenly.
- Grout the tiles: Once the adhesive dries, use a rubber float to apply the grout to the spaces between the tiles and a damp sponge to wipe away any excess grout. Leave it to dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the grout: Apply grout sealer to protect the grout from moisture and stains.
Hack #3: Upcycling Furniture
Upcycling is transforming old, unwanted furniture into something new and beautiful that adds character to your home and saves you money.
Here are some steps to get you started:
- Choose the right furniture: Look for items in good condition and those with sturdy frames. It could be a wooden chair, coffee table, or even a dresser.
- Prepare the furniture: Clean the furniture thoroughly and sand any rough spots or peeling paint. If you must paint it, ensure to prime it beforehand for a smooth and lasting finish.
- Add a personal touch: You can add a coat of varnish or wax to protect the paint and give it a glossy finish. Alternatively, you can distress the furniture for a vintage look or add some metallic accents for a modern touch.
Revamp Your Living Space
At Elmers Hardware, your online hardware store, we’re committed to providing you with the best DIY tools and solutions. We offer a wide range of products, including adhesives, paints, and cleaning supplies, to help you tackle any DIY project. Visit our website today and check out our extensive selection of DIY tools, from adhesives and paints to fillers, sealants, and fixings.